Monday, April 8, 2013

Chicken Tortilla Soup

So I decided to try a 'new to me' recipe this weekend. Its a mexican flavour inspired soup. I have to admit, I wasn't a very big fan of it. It has lime in it and the flavour was far too strong for me. I should have cut the amount way back and then tested it before adding more. Im also not a huge Mexican food fan. The only thing I really eat thats considered Mexican is beef tacos. But, I thought I'd share the recipe anyways in case any of my readers wanted to try it. I had read some really good reviews of the recipe, but I guess it was just not for me!

What you need:

4 flour tortillas (6 inch)
2 tbsp. Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing, divided
1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 small halves)
1 can (540ml/19oz) chili-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
1 can (284ml/10oz) chicken broth
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Juice from 2 medium limes
1 cup Kraft Tex Mex Shredded Cheese

Preheat oven to 400F. Cut tortillas into strips; toss with 1 tbsp. of the dressing, then spread into single layer on baking sheet. Bake 8 to 10 min. or until crisp and lightly browned.
Meanwhile, cut chicken into bite-sized chunks. Heat remaining 1 tbsp. dressing in large saucepan on medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook and stif 5 min. Add tomatoes and broth; stir. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 15 min., stirring occasionally.
Stir in cilantro and lime juice. Ladle soup into serving bowls; top with cheese and tortilla strips.

This makes 4 servings with 362 Calories per serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment