Monday, August 19, 2013

Fried Rice and Chicken

Hello everyone!
I've been sick for a week with a nasty cold, unfortunately, my daughter has been too. So on top of feeling crumby myself, I've had to deal with a cranky toddler too. Not fun! I was having a crappy weekend, I was so grumpy and so OVER being sick but each day was worse than the last. There seems to be no end to this cold. Since I'm pregnant I can't take any medication, so having no quick fixes added to my pity party. Having no immune system from being pregnant doesn't help either!

I've been drinking hot water with lemon to sooth my throat and having some tea. Little Monkey has been getting straight juice to increase her vitamin C intake. I usually water down her juice when she gets any, but this week she gets full strength! 

Anyway, I kept reminding myself that I was in charge of my emotions and could choose to be happy, but it wasn't working! Haha! I'm in better spirits today though.

I have another recipe to share.... Fried rice with chicken. It's very simple to make and the beautiful thing about this recipe is you can change it up so easily by substituting different vegetables, or using beef instead of chicken, or not adding meat at all. Adding more veggies to make it a full meal or keeping it simple for a side dish.

4 cups cold cooked rice
4 tablespoons soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
2 cups cooked and cubed chicken (optional)
2 cups cooked veggies (optional)
2 tablespoons neutral oil, such as vegetable or canola 

Heat a wok or large non-stick skillet over high heat.
When oil starts to "shimmer", turn the heat to medium-high.
If using garlic and/or green onions add to oil now and stir.
Add chicken and vegetables if using and mix well.
Quickly add rice and continue to stir until rice is separated and coated with oil or mixed evenly with chicken and veggies.
Sprinkle soy sauce over rice and stir until distributed well throughout rice.



No comments:

Post a Comment